Y’all it happened. Not only did I successfully redecorate the nursery for baby boy, but I did it in time to submit everything to the One Room Challenge.
I am stunned. It was stressful towards the *lenient/extended* end there, but I am so unbelievably fulfilled by the process and the end result! It’s a completely different room and I’ve never honestly dedicated myself to finish a space.
There are so many things I need to say, but I’ll get to those in a minute. first things first!
Unrecognizable, right?! I’m freakin’ out over here. We walk by and it just catches your eye. Everything about it feels so fresh and precious.
It’s littered with geometric shapes and modern accents and has that subtle space vibe I was going for.
When I left off after week 5, I was no where near this product. Let me go through what was added over the last couple of weeks leading up to this reveal!
The easy windowsill replacement aka cover up
table – homegoods find / glider
I’m Obsessed. Even my husband is obsessed. We’ve been living with these yellow tile sills, and the house I grew up in had them too. They have been very hard to love, to say the least. I knew they needed replacing, but the thought of tearing them out made my skin crawl.
They’re practically part of the home’s foundation and part of me thinks the whole window frame would crumble without them there. You could say they haunt my dreams.
So when I had a dream about covering them instead of replacing them, I knew it deserved a shot. Tano agreed and this challenge was the perfect excuse to put this project to the test.
The outcome is so much better than we ever expected. My mom was here hanging with the babes while I wedged this in, and I’m so glad she was because I had to show her! This was a very proud moment for me and now we’re so excited to do the rest of the house.
This deserves a separate post (because we’re tackling the whole house next!).
the tutorial: Easy DIY Modern Window Casing
DIY plexiglass mobile
Inspired by an image I found on Pinterest and sadly it is no where to be found. I built this little brainchild out of a sheet of iridescent plexiglass, a floral hoop, fishing line, superglue, and hot glue. I spent less than $25 and one evening to crank this out.
I originally envisioned a rainbow of colors, but this is my first time working with plexiglass. Instead of buying a dozen different colored sheets, I decided on 1 9×12 sheet that covers all the colors!
Iridescent is my favorite color.
It isn’t perfect, and some of the strings are a little long so I’ll probably have to shorten them before baby boy can start grabbing at it, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t in love with the concept. I’m going to make a separate post for this tutorial/what I did!
This wall is very empty, but the risk of hanging things on the walls above a crib terrifies me. Also, overstimulation is a thing. I love the airy-yet-extravagant feel of this mobile and I practiced hanging it over baby boy while I was gluing it together. He approved with giggles.
It is held up with these heavy duty adhesive hooks. Tano’s biggest fight over me building the mobile was that I would make another hole in the ceiling and never patch it. Can’t stop me now!
the [acrylic] bookshelves
I found this watercolor art print on Etsy and this might be what sold me on the space theme. I printed it at Walgreens using a black friday 50% off deal (woo woo) and actually printed two sizes. I’ll probably upgrade to the larger 16×20 print when baby boy starts grabbing at the letter board letters. Those scream choking hazard to me!
These are perfectly narrow for this tiny space between the door & the closet, and I only used half of the set of 4. I’m obsessed with the style, although the original plan was to make wood book ledges. These tie everything together and have curved edges for little people (and me in the dark🙃).
Guy’s big sister picked out some of her favorite stories to start sharing with him! She knows The Very Hungry Caterpillar by heart. It’s the sweetest thing.
the board & batten accent wall with a raw wood ledge
This is the baby’s view from the changing pad lol
Traditional board and batten is cool and all, but the wood ledge is a game changer. It gives the masculine feel I wanted and takes away the ultra traditional aspect, I think? The plain board and batten doesn’t tickle me the way a different design would (argyle, anyone?), but this miniature room feels soooo much bigger with the horizontal ledge.
I spent a whole week loving on Frogtape and their crisp lines, but I always intended to do the wood ledge over it 🥴 I guess I was subconsciously preparing myself to not be able to get it done. Still, it’s in and it makes the room feel more upscale and finished.
This entire feature is built with 1×2 pine and the batten is preprimed. It was super simple and this will be getting a little tutorial as well!
The doggy is a Sniffer and a sentimental guard dog that has traveled around the world and overlooks various rooms of our house. This is his newest lookout spot!
The light and drawer pulls were my first simple replacement in week 4. Since then I replaced the curtain rod and it makes such a big difference. Being crazy frugal, I wanted to reuse the one I had in there, but it really didn’t go. In fact, that rod was acquired years ago and it never suited my style to begin with.
the tiniest little nursery for my sweet little guy
I am officially done and can barely believe it. My family is bouncing off the walls waiting for me to finish typing this so I’m gonna have to cut it off here.
Thank you to Better Homes & Gardens for this challenge. I honestly would never have made this happen without the fun accountability project that is the One Room Challenge! Be sure to check out the other contributors through the link and the image below. I can’t wait to do it again next season and get another amazing new room in our little fixer upper.