This week for the truly challenging One Room Challenge, I finally installed the new light fixture with my new favorite easy* embellishment: a CEILING MEDALLION. Last week I told myself (and my readers) that I would also paint the room & prime the dresser. I did half of those BUT also installed the window trim on both windows. They look good. I feel good. Everything’s going good. I have 2ish weeks to finish the rest. That is not good, but we let’s pretend.
After all my dilly-dallying over the past several weeks, these 3 accomplishments have made the room feel truly transformed (finally!). There is still a ton of finishing to do, but after this, the only work left to be done is mostly decorative.
All the updates are going to be included in this post, but first things first. The star of the show and the biggest transformation of the last week:
DIY Ceiling Medallion and Chandelier Installation
The act of installing a light fixture is generally simple, but of course it’s never as easy as it should be (I almost always end up screwing up 1-3 times through the process). So I say a ceiling medallion is easy in the same way that installing a new light is easy.
It came primed, so I coated it with some of the BM Swiss Coffee eggshell paint I had leftover from our kitchen renovation. After it was dry, I removed the old light, put some construction adhesive on the backside and taped it to the ceiling while the glue dried. However, that did not work. The tape failed at around 11PM and almost fell on us while we slept (the light wasn’t up yet, otherwise it probably would’ve held it in place). I caught it and set it aside for the next day.
Take 2 led me to shoot it with 3 brad nails for extra security while I installed the light. That was not easy at all. but it’s in!!
There are always challenges, however the medallion costs less than $20 and the chandelier is less than $60. All together I spent less than $100 dollars to make my bedroom look and feel like a Parisian apartment and I am obsesssssssed.
The low cost completely balanced out the strange stress. Check out the almost finished product!
I still need to fix the extra long cord situation, caulk around the edge, & fill the nail holes, but can you even?!
Last one with the light off because there was a weird glare.
turning a “rustic” chandelier into my eclectic contemporary fantasy
When it comes to my taste and design style, “rustic”, “industrial”, and “farmhouse” are generally not welcome. But I had a vision and it turned out way better than I hoped.
It almost entirely dominates our small room as the focal point and I am not mad about it.
Isn’t it gorgeous?! Huge upgrade from my boob light (see before).
Custom window trim
I finally replicated the modern window trim that finished off the nursery during my last One Room Challenge. It cost a little more this time thanks to the increased lumber price and increased number of windows.
It took 2 1x6x8 primed pine boards and 4 1×4. The window over my bed is small (3’x3′) so I was able to use the scrap 1×4 from the first window to case parts of it. The most exciting part of planning these projects is calculating efficient use of the scraps. Call me crazy, but I love it!
For a refresher, this is the design & plan I used.
You can catch a glimpse of the large window’s trim in the pictures above, but here is one from the other night with two of my loves.
I’ll be sanding the wood filler, caulking the edges, and painting this with the same Swiss Coffee paint I used on the medallion.
A fresh coat of paint
I got one & three quarters of a paint job done in here and it makes such a big difference! I need to buy another gallon and get back to work, but this wall looks great after a full 2 coats and it’s giving me the motivation I need to slap another coat on the other walls.
It’s white. Lol. I know it doesn’t feel like a huge transformation going from the beige bedroom to the white bedroom but hear me out! Nothing feels as fresh and clean like a brand new coat of paint.
I used Sherwin Williams Greek Villa in the flat sheen, and by “used” I mean I wiped the bucket clean to cover the drab beige that was in here. All of the rooms are so tiny that flat white feels like the freshest choice. Matching the ceiling generally makes a room feel bigger, and I’m not bold enough to put a fun color on the ceiling in this house.
We are planning on selling sooner than later and repainting a ceiling is daunting. I don’t want to turn off potential buyers in the future, so my bold color choices are being reserved for furniture. Everybody wins!
Sherwin Williams generally has a sale going at all times, but sometimes you can get their paint for 40% off which is whack. I was able to score 20% off as a Paint Perks member lol so one gallon cost me about $55.
I will have the dresser primed and hopefully painted. I’m very excited about that.
I will have the last coat of paint on the walls and the window trim finished.
I will have the materials for my DIY mirror and headboard.
The curtains are on their way!
Week 1 / Week 2 / Week 3 / Week 4 / Week 5 / Week 6 / Week 7 / Week 8
Leave a Reply