I did it! At least part (most?) of it. And I gotta say, if it weren’t for this One Room Challenge I wouldn’t have done a single thing. Snaps for accountability *thank you Better Homes and Gardens. I scheduled time to work on this over the next 6 weeks, and my painting time fell in the middle of a muggy, rainy Sunday. Literally took a raincheck.
But after praying to the rain gods (and the sleepy baby gods), I finally started painting yesterday!
This post contains affiliate links so you can see what products I used or recommend for this project. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Filter-free before in morning light
We painted this room for my babygirl over 4 years ago. I can’t remember the color, but it was also Sherwin-Williams and it’s a deep taupe-y pink. I think it might’ve been called cool sand or something. It was time to go.
Bonus – sleepy baby and the man behind the mood <3
He got some shots this week too, so that knocked Monday and Tuesday out as options. My sweet guy needed (and got) lots of extra love.
my postpartum brain has me all sorts of crazy, but I’m patting myself on the back because…..
I had the foresight to take off my ring and dust the door and closet trim before painting 👏 👏 👏
Prep is always the hardest part, and I have gotten really good at reminding myself that those horrible things we dread usually take less than 10 minutes. So diving in has become my forté.
I am hardly a “painter” but I do love Sherwin-Williams. It’s so easy to find pictures of it being used, all the greats use it, and they have awesome sales (almost always). So my $90 paint was 40% off. I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for and despite my fierce frugality, this stuff will sit on my walls for years so 💸
I went for a flat finish of Greek Villa for my white. I honestly chose it because it’s also going in the living room and resembles the current paint we have in there. The little guy on the left is Dark Night in a satin finish.
cross your fingers that the satin/flat contrast is as cool as I hope it will be!
I bought some fresh rollers, a new paint tray, and a handy dandy little $5 Wooster brush that I couldn’t wait to try! This is supposedly the easiest way to make straight lines and cut in. My sloppy self can use all the help I can get and it is definitely easy to handle, but nothing is foolproof or Ashley-proof.
My line is pretty straight but I wasn’t too concerned because the top half is going to be Dark Night before next week. That’s when it’ll be time to shine, although I fully plan to use Frogtape painters tape for the colorblocking endeavor.
Like I said, I’m not a painter.
Filter-free After (let’s be real, during) pictures
It was a tight squeeze but moving the furniture out of the room was not an option. Normally I would use the sunroom as a dumping ground. However, Coronavirus has my husband’s office in there sooo…..
I’m hardly done, but super proud considering the circumstances!
Regardless, I’m digging the vibe. It’s lighter and brighter and makes this itty bitty room feel bigger. I can’t wait to get the navy blue up there and am planning a solid 1.5 hours for that.
These 3.5 walls took two 1.5 hour shifts, including cleaning the brushes and roller between uses. I considered trying to “make it last” between coats, but you never know how long you have with nap time and I didn’t want to risk wrecking my brand new stuff. 💁♀️
This was taken after the second coat of Greek Villa. There’s still a ton of spots to touch up, but that’ll happen! We have 6 weeks after all and the brunt of the work is DONE.
Baby boy took two really big naps and I’m taking full credit because I’ve been hyping him up for his special little space!
Today we are taking a trip to this hidden gem of a discount store. I’ve seen people score super cheap lights just like the one I want so I’m keeping my eyes peeled for one of those, and generally anything I’ve ever shopped for.
Next week I’m planning to have a new light installed, the Dark Night colorblock bit painted, and the furniture moved to it’s general home.