It’s week three of my first One Room Challenge and I gotta say it’s definitely a challenge. I’m part of the 95% club which means there might be a dozen unfinished projects around my house, but that doesn’t stop me from starting more. The last two weeks have been way too inspiring. I’m excited to force myself to finish up this nursery over the next 3 weeks.
In case you missed it, the One Room Challenge is a 6 week commitment hosted by Better Homes & Gardens. There are several designers who are tapped and sponsored to revamp a room, and then there are several more guest contributors. I’m part of the latter and forcing myself past the sensation of imposter syndrome….!
The best part about this “game” is either the accountability of weekly updates and progress or the inspiration from fellow contributors. But considering the debilitating inspiration, that could be debated as the downside.
This week’s progress
After leaving the room painted with only 1 of 2 colors last week, I was itching to see that dark blue up against the white. My husband was incredibly supportive of my paint plans too and reminded me that I can put the sweet sleeping baby down, so I got started and put my frog tape to work!
I taped off a level line about 4 feet from the floor and taped off the side edges. I didn’t tape the ceiling edge because I wanted to work on my Wooster brush skills. Cutting the edges with white paint last week just wasn’t satisfying. I needed a little drama!
As you can see from the video, this brush is like BUTTER. It isn’t ashley-proof (yet) and you’ll notice the weird splooshy (?) bubbles at the very beginning. I’m pretty sure that was from having too much paint on the brush. Live and learn. That’s probably the only “bad spot” on the ceiling edge.
This is my first time using frog tape too, and I gotta say it’s the perfect stickyness. It’s clear that tape was made for this. I wish I had a satisfying video of me taking the tape off but, you know, hands full.
I’ve used other painter’s tape before and the bleeding effect is real. This is a current mess in my living room…
Just a glimpse of that 95% club life.
I used generic blue tape which barely sticks and hadn’t painted off the edge, but this messy, bloody, coat could be considered the painted off edge. If you notice from my taped off picture above, there’s a layer of white around the internal edges. I did that to create a solid “seal” with the edge color, SW Greek Villa. It’s an added layer of protection from bleeding paint.
It was probably overkill, but as you can see I’ve been burned before. Needless to say, I’m happy I went with frog tape this time. It lived up to the hype.
And now I’m dying to paint more! This color just feels sooo good. It’s super dark, but vivid. And obviously navy with just the right amount of teal underneath.
It looks like how velvet feels. But that could be the satin sheen 😉
This week’s buys
My passive efforts were done with a sleeping baby on my lap (yay!). I ordered the solar system watercolor print, a new light fixture, and wood & resin drawer knobs.
I’m thinking this bad boy will be in a black frame to balance out all the wood I’m adding over the next few weeks. I. Can’t. Wait.
The light fixture and knobs are more modern than what I had originally envisioned, and heading into contemporary territory. I’m obsessed.
Next week’s plans and outstanding tasks
Getting things done is always a huge win for me, so I like to lay everything out there and celebrate anything that gets done regardless of the order it happens.
Realistically, I will be installing the light fixture and knobs this weekend. I’d like the buy the wood for my floating shelves before next Wednesday but we’re hosting a Halloween party so I need to slow tf down. That might be a finishing touch situation. Still not out of reach though!
Let’s aim to decide on the size of the art print and finding a frame. And who knows, maybe more of the room will be blue next week or I’ll make it into one of these pictures!
week 1 / week 2 / week 4 / week 5 / week 6
Leave a Reply